Sunday, September 27, 2009

Quote of the week

"Listen to the whispers, or soon you'll be listening to the screams." - Elizabeth Gilbert, quoting her husband.

I actually think that this one is going to extend to become more than just a quote of the week for me, and hope that it is something that I will repeat to myself over and over again when I start to second-guess my instincts on certain situations.

Or more specifically, certain people.

As someone who has dated a considerable amount in the last 10+ years, I have definitely landed myself into some shitty situations. Liars, users, the insecure, the overconfident, the emotional basketcases, I think - or hope - that I've pretty much seen it all. And I know that I've gained the strength to avoid and extricate myself from these situations in a timely manner. Sadly, that wasn't always the case. And when I did end up realizing just how yucky the situation was, I could always look back and see warning signs that I should have heeded. I've long been chiding myself for not following my instincts more closely, but often times I was following other, stronger impulses - like boredom or loneliness - that were causing me to doubt my judgment.

So that is why this quote resonated with me so much - because I've gone through plenty of whispering and then screaming, and recently feel like I am honing the ability to listen and observe with an open, yet smart, heart when letting someone new into my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home